As a website design firm we get the quote often, “but I can build a website for free using this online editor”. They have surely seen the commercials or read online about how easy it is to “build your own website within minutes”. We consistently tell these customers that in web design, you will always get what you pay for. Especially if you don’t do some research first.
Before you make a decision one way or the other you should understand the pros and cons of both options. To help weigh the pros and cons, the team at Inforza have put together a useful infographic outlining the main things you need to know about cheap websites vs custom websites.
Helping You Decide Between a Cheap, Template Site or an Expensive, Custom Site
There is really no black or white answer to which type of website you should use for your business. The decision you make should be based off of a combination of different factors:
- How quickly do you need a website up?
- How much time do you have to spend on building a new website?
- How much money do you have budgeted to spend on a new website?
- How much, or how little, do you want to be involved in the process?
- How much, or how little, have you already planned out for your website?
- Do you have all of your content (logo, branding, images, text, etc) ready to go?
You should never expect fast + cheap + good at the same time from any web development company. At best, you should be able to expect any two of those. Make sure your expectations are in line before getting started or you will set yourself up for disappointment and frustration.
Just keep in mind that just like a store-front, your customers will subconsciously correlate the value of your business by the look of your online presence. Unless you have some website design experience, we suggest leaving website design to a professional.